LOCATION: RARIEDA DISTRICT(NYANZA REGION)
Our Client is an organization operating in rural Rarieda District. The organization began as a grass-root CBO in 2003 to assist orphaned children and youth through community empowerment. They have since developed into a dynamic organization, focused on empowerment and development, both within the community and the organization. They are currently seeking to recruit talented, progressive and team-oriented individuals to fill the position of Communications Officer.
Due to the rural set- up and challenges associated therewith, all applicants should have a personal commitment to community development. Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with THE ORGANIZATION’s vision and mission before considering to apply.
Vision: People believe in themselves and work together to build a vibrant and progressive community.
Mission: Empower people and build their capacities to create positive change for children and youth within their community.
Interested candidates are requested to email: (1) cover letter stating the position for which you are applying, along with current remuneration or last remuneration if currently not employed,
(2) three paragraph motivation statement and why you feel you meet the requirements.
IMPORTANT: All four (4) above mentioned steps must be followed. Applications not following all steps will be automatically disqualified.
1. PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Communications Officer works with the Operations Manager and other staff in the organization to develop and implement communication strategies with the organizations key stakeholders (students/families, alumni, community beneficiaries, funders, prospective funders, staff, management and board members). The Officer’s primary responsibilities are in marketing and communications in an effort to promote positive public image among
The organization’s various audiences and advance The organization’s efforts to raise money. This position will also collaborate with others in the organization to achieve brand consistency, coordination of messages, and the highest standards for external communications. This position is responsible for coordinating organization-wide design, message, and content generation, including electronic and print communications. One of the most crucial tasks of the officer will be the creation and ongoing management of an organization-wide communications calendar.
2. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main responsibilities and tasks of the holder of this position will be:
R1. Print Materials
T.1 Manage creation, production and dissemination of printed publications for education, development and administration purposes (such as bi-annual newsletter, annual report, course brochures, and exhibition and event postcards)
T.2 Manage creation and selection of photography for print and electronic communications.
T.3 Support the development and execution of identity and collateral materials for major organizational initiatives.
T.4 Create and coordinate production schedules and maintain ongoing relationships with graphic designers, mail houses, printers and photographers.
T.5 Develop and Manage an in-house style manual
R2. Electronic/New Media
T.1 Collaboratively manage and coordinate creation and update of web-content; responsible for content-related protocols to keep web site up-to-date.
T.2 Work with technology and education staffs to ensure ongoing improvement of website, including phased updates and add-ons.
T.3 Implement e-communications for donors and general public
T.4 Provide organization-wide e-communications support; manage Contact database
T.5 Lead The organization ’s efforts to remain up-to-date and effective in electronic communications through convening regular meetings and conversations
T.6 Pioneer The organization ’s social media participation, taking organization from a sporadic
Facebook participant to an active and innovative presence on established and new social media outlets
T.7 Actively monitor The organization ’s online reputation
R3. Media Relations
T.1 Conduct media relations program for selected events or activities T.2 Write and distribute press releases
T.3 Pitch the local and national media to secure media placement T.4 Maintain media archives
R4. Communication & Marketing program
T.1 Coordinate development of a communications strategy with support from Management, including annual calendars, to guide The organization ’s PR campaigns in line with The organization ’s vision, mission and strategic plan.
T.2 Coordinate event management of Open House, Exhibitions, Fundraisers, including event budgeting, venue coordination, guest invitation and registration processes, speaker and VIP support, on-site troubleshooting and event follow-up.
R5. Grant management
T.1 Improve communication on beneficiary impact stories, case studies, and qualitative reporting of donor-funded activities and donor reporting.
T.2 Keep abreast of international donor trends and opportunities. Participate in development of concept notes and funding proposals in collaboration with Managers and the Director.
T.3 Develop a resource file of funding proposal templates from major donors.
R6. Organizational Communication
T.1 Support Operations Manager and HR Coordinator to improve various communication channels within the daily operations of the organization. Participate as co-facilitator to train staff in oral and written communication skills (email etiquette, letter writing, report writing, case studies, qualitative stories, presentations.)
R7. Other Duties and Responsibilities
T.1 Actively participate in the Psycho-Social Support, especially by offering medical services for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children in the program and build the community’s capacity to eventually run the Saturday PSS on their own.
T.2 Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the management from time to time and which are related to the achievement of THE ORGANIZATION ’s mission and vision.
3. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Communication or other related fields
• Significant knowledge of e-communications systems and content management systems.
• Strong awareness and significant knowledge of social media platforms.
• Knowledge of publication and advertisement design
• Ability to priorities work, organise and deliver multiple tasks to deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to gather, access and communicate sometimes complex information and key messages to key audiences.
• Ability to learn new technical skills quickly and train others as appropriate.
• Ability to work with people at all levels across the organisation and to develop effective working relationships.
• Good problem solving skills.
• Motivated and able to work unsupervised and deliver successful outcomes.
• Flexible and enthusiastic with high attention to detail.
• Ability to bridge the cultural divide between representatives of European and/or American donor agencies and the Kenyan organization. Experience living and working overseas preferred.
• A flair for producing documents for donors, the media, stakeholders and the general public, including experience with the basics of graphic design, careful attention to detail, quality reports, press releases.
• Web editorial experience and editing of other media publication types.
• Experience in providing excellent customer service.
• Experience in managing multiple service requirements from diverse stakeholders in the organisation.
• Experience of e-comms and social media applications in a not-for-profit or public sector organisation.
• A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible professional experience, with at least some experience working directly with grassroots organisations operating at the community level working with vulnerable and at-risk populations including people living with HIV, orphans/vulnerable children, women and the rural poor.
• Qualification which includes aspects of communications and/or marketing or equivalent experience
• Experience living and working overseas